The reason for the actor’s ousting is said to be because the film will, instead, opt to focus on a younger Bruce Wayne — something that had been rumored in the past.
Rumors that DC and Warner Bros. wanted to cast a younger actor in the titular role have been circulating for some time, with some outlets even going on to claim that on-the-rise actor Jack O’Connell was being considered for the role. While it remains to be seen who goes on to don the mask after Affleck, the actor seems ready to see someone else take on the iconic character. Following the news, Affleck, who rarely tweets, used the social media platform to share his excitement over getting to finally see the film come to fruition.
Reeves, who has been very open with fans throughout the writing process, officially boarded the project nearly two years ago after Affleck stepped down from directing duties. Since then, Reeves has been hard at work developing the project, which many presumed would see him handpick a new Batman. According to reports, the studio is “very happy” with Reeves’ latest draft, which he is said to have been slightly tweaking over the past few months ahead of meeting potential actors for the role.
While little remains known regarding the film, including just how young of a Bruce the studio is envisioning, but per Deadline, it can at least been confirmed that the film will not be based on Frank Miller’s Batman: Year One.
Dylan Clark, who served as a producer on Planet of the Apes, will produce the project alongside Reeves.
The Batman, written and directed by Matt Reeves, is set to hit theaters on June 25, 2021.